~ Conversation ~
Conversation by Joni Mitchell
Most interesting to me is what conversation reveals about the characters involved. Conversation can be easy or hard, direct or indirect, one-sided or two-sided or multi-dimensional.
What interests you? Give us a conversation or describe one. Enjoy!
Some examples:
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don’t stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven’t hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
By Robert Frost
Mary sat musing on the lamp-flame at the table
Waiting for Warren. When she heard his step,
She ran on tip-toe down the darkened passage
To meet him in the doorway with the news
And put him on his guard. ‘Silas is back.’
She pushed him outward with her through the door
And shut it after her. ‘Be kind,’ she said.
She took the market things from Warren’s arms
And set them on the porch, then drew him down
To sit beside her on the wooden steps.
‘When was I ever anything but kind to him?
But I’ll not have the fellow back,’ he said.
‘I told him so last haying, didn’t I?
If he left then, I said, that ended it.
What good is he? Who else will harbor him
At his age for the little he can do?
What help he is there’s no depending on.
Off he goes always when I need him most.
He thinks he ought to earn a little pay,
Enough at least to buy tobacco with,
So he won’t have to beg and be beholden.
“All right,” I say, “I can’t afford to pay
Any fixed wages, though I wish I could.”
“Someone else can.” “Then someone else will have to.”
I shouldn’t mind his bettering himself
If that was what it was. You can be certain,
When he begins like that, there’s someone at him
Trying to coax him off with pocket-money,—
In haying time, when any help is scarce.
In winter he comes back to us. I’m done.’
‘Sh! not so loud: he’ll hear you,’ Mary said.
. . . .
(Read the rest HERE.)
Death is a Dialogue between
Death is a Dialogue between
The Spirit and the Dust.
"Dissolve" says Death -- The Spirit "Sir
I have another Trust" --
Death doubts it -- Argues from the Ground --
The Spirit turns away
Just laying off for evidence
An Overcoat of Clay.💛💛💛
Please link one poem that is your response to this prompt.
After you link your poem, please visit others,
and
Don't forget to include this link in your post.
Good morning, poets! We hope you're having a happy day. Let's chat about it. Smiles. Here on the west coast of Canada we have foggy mornings, clearing by noon, a bit cooler than everywhere else, which is a relief. The wildfires are still burning, leaving devastation in their wake. My thoughts are with the animals, running in terror through the flames. Heartbreaking. Stay safe, in a world that feels rather perilous. I retreat into my small rooms, to preserve my peacefulness. Or walk on the beach to revive my spirit. We send you our best thoughts for a good day, in spite of it all.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the interesting prompt, Susan. I hope that some of you will write about a conversation that you have had, perhaps how it impacted you! Or perhaps a conversation you WISH that you had had. I will enjoy reading everyone's 'conversational' poems!
ReplyDelete