12 June 2024

Keepsakes and Treasure Chests


“Upstairs, in the cupboard, he had a box of things he had saved as a boy 
and a young man. He hadn't looked into it in twenty years or more.
 Nothing fancy or valuable, but things that had meant something
 to him at one time. He found it, and found the key, 
and carried it downstairs without opening it.”
― Jane Smiley

source

  • Do you have treasures you've saved forever?  
  • Where do you keep them?  
  • Which ones are more precious than the rest?
💚💚💚

The top two shelves of my China cabinet are an altar of precious things: photographs of people and souvenirs from journeys I've taken. A silver-handled spoon made of shell makes me think of the friend who gave it to me, and the time we spent together.  A wooden bowl carved by my brother holds three crumbling pieces of the Berlin wall.  And so on.  Would I take any of these treasures with me in an emergency?  No.  I've contemplated getting rid of them.  I would remember whether or not the object remained.  But still, I keep them.  Keepsakes.  

💚💚💚

Make a poem of your treasure chest 
and/or your keepsakes.

💚💚💚

A few poems to inspire:

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the treasure of the prompt - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here, Jae. Your poem is deeper than ever. I love the entire progression of it with its truths and revelations. These lines especially:
      "Time is too short to get lost
      In other people’s shortcomings
      Alice is my treasure"
      Time is way too short to be caught up and lost, for sure!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Susan - I really enjoyed the prompt - Jae

      Delete
  2. Welcome, Poets! Looking forward to seeing where this prompt takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking my poem, Mary! And for greeting people while I got my tooth's crown replaced!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for another interesting prompt, Susan. You are good at finding fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fireblossom. I'm happy that you are here.

      Delete
  4. A very interesting prompt, Susan. Wow, pieces of the Berlin wall are amazing. I remember how I felt when that wall came down, something I had not expected to see in my lifetime. Now, metaphorical walls are up, all over the world, higher than I ever expected to see, as well. May they fall too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting prompt Susan and also wonderful responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sumana. I love your poem!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the prompt Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. What a poem you wrote! An amazing open door of that closet.

      Delete
  7. Oooh just finished reading and commenting all after first writing and posting one of my own. All combined are a veritable treasure chest shimmering jewels of these of these collective gems! Thank you one and all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Such unique poems!

      Delete