02 October 2024

HAIR! (symbol of rebellion)

 HAIR! 

~ symbol of rebellion ~

source

Do you remember the musical Hair! (1968), especially its in-your-face challenge as it broke taboos of language, dress, class, gender, sex, race, and etc.? The long hair young men wore in late 1960s USA was a symbol of rebellion against authority.




Where you live and in the institutions you visit, are there expectations of conformity that make hair and appearance that important?  In what small ways do you (or someone you know) rebel, or have in the past rebelled, against expectations?  And what about hair itself--curly or straight, dyed or straightened or permed or not, pandemic hair or "ideal" hair?  What does your appearance say about you?

This week, write a poem about personal symbols/moments of rebellion or write about hair.   Or both.

💚💚💚

Poem by Elizabeth Acevedo

My mother tells me to fix my hair.
And by “fix,” she means straighten. She means whiten.
But how do you fix this ship-wrecked history of hair?
The true meaning of stranded, when trusses held tight like African cousins in ship bellies, did they imagine that their great-grand-children would look like us, and would hate them how we do? Trying to find ways to erase them out of our skin, iron them out of our hair, this wild tangle of hair that strangles air.

You call them wild curls. I call them breathing. Ancestors spiraling.
Can’t you see them in this wet hair that waves like hello?

They say Dominicans can do the best hair.
I mean they wash, set, flatten the spring in any loc — but what they mean is we’re the best at swallowing amnesia, in a cup of morísoñando, die dreaming because we’d rather do that than live in this reality, caught between orange juice and milk, between reflections of the sun and whiteness.
What they mean is, “Why would you date a black man? "What they mean is, “a prieto cocolo” What they mean is, “Why would two oppressed people come together? It’s two times the trouble.”
What they really mean is, “Have you thought of your daughter’s hair?”

And I don’t tell them that we love like sugar cane, brown skin, pale flesh, meshed in pure sweetness. The children of children of fields. Our bodies curve into one another like an echo, and I let my curtain of curls blanket us from the world, how our children will be beautiful. Of dust skin, and diamond eyes. Hair, a reclamation.
How I will break pride down their back so from the moment they leave the womb they will be born in love with themselves.

Momma that tells me to fix my hair, and so many words remain unspoken. Because all I can reply is, “You can’t fix what was never broken.”

“Hair”  Poema de Elizabeth Acevedo   Traducción al español hecha por mi

💚💚💚

MORE poems to inspire:

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prompt Susan - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It is as if I have revealed a part of myself
      I thought was dead
      But the essence of me was always in there" I love how you combine this story of strength with the story of Sampson. I love the pride in it, the courage.

      Delete
  2. Ha, my hair was born for this prompt and finally has its day. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Fantastic. Your poem is a joy!

      Delete
  3. I saw the Broadway musical "Hair" and remember it was thought to be SO risque at the time. Ha, today it would be nothing! I still love a lot of the songs from the musical, and listening to them takes me back....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw the film, but heard the sound track over and over. I do wonder if anything would have a similar effect today? I saw a review of "Yellow Face" today in the NYTimes in which they not the play push the envelope with identity and intersectionality. I'd love to see that.

      Delete
  4. Welcome poets! I hope you have fun with this prompt whether it raises memories or new images. So far the poems have been all over the map. Such good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just 13 when "Hair" was current and I didn't know it had nudity until years later. I do remember a couple of the songs that other people covered, like "Aquarius" and "Good Morning, Starshine" which I still love to this day. I wonder what ever happened to Oliver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found his Obit which mentions his recording under the name Oliver in the 1960s: https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-times-obituary-for-william-swofford/78946025/?locale=en-US

      Delete
    2. Oy, so many I grew up with have passed. He died quite young. :-(

      Delete
  6. I had a litte too much fun with this one, Susan, which always means "YOU CALL THIS POETRY?!!!" 😅😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Please remove the first link I provided which was wrong. The second one ought to work. Thanks, Susan.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mary! Dora, I do call that poetry!

      Delete