28 August 2024

Overcoming



Wikimedia Commons



Lucille Clifton’s “won’t you celebrate with me” is my inspiration for today’s prompt Overcoming

In human world everyone is trying to make a life for themselves through ease or difficulties with lightheartedness or resilience and determination. It’s a journey of perseverance, of facing challenges head on, embracing the opportunities for growth and in the end there is a self-discovery.

 It works in the same way in the nature-world too: surviving and thriving is the motto. In fact here it’s a display of showing remarkable ability to overcome challenges. A beloved aquarium fish, the goldfish would always find a way to survive. You will never find it content; always hungry, always eating, continually growing, not caring a fig for the adverse conditions, using everything as an opportunity to grow. It knows the mantra to survive and thrive.

 Your challenge is to write a poem celebrating triumph whether it’s seen in our human world or if it’s about your own world /life or if it’s about something seen in nature. It might even be about the goldfish or any incredible life-form that survive extreme conditions. 

 Sharing a few poems now :

A note on the body

by Danez Smith

The Tree Agreement

by Elise Paschen

Still I Rise

by Maya Angelou

I am also sharing with you the song Spanish Harlem by Ben E King :




 

Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt. When you link your poem please visit other links in the spirit of the community

 





15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prompt Sumana - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "we are no longer hiding" Bravo! What a positive poem, full of ways of overcoming.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the inspiring prompt, Sumana. I love what you have written about the goldfish, making its life as best it can, under the circumstances in which it lives. An example for us all. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. Yes, the tiny goldfish is quite inspiring.

      Delete
  3. Hello friends! Happy Wednesday! I hope you enjoy the prompt. I am looking forward to reading your lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a timely prompt! (As if you wrote it yesterday!) Thank you, Sumana, for overcoming.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Susan for the wonderful poem, today.

      Delete
  4. I'm sharing an old poem from 2021, which Sherry will recognise, as I'm busy getting ready to visit my daughter. I won't be around for just over a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful poem, Kim. Enjoy your stay at your daughter's.

      Delete
  5. "Where am I?
    Who are these people?
    What are the sounds they are making?" I'm told I came out of the womb inquisitive!

    ReplyDelete