21 August 2024

August

 

How did it get to be the END of August already?  I remember when I was a child thinking that when August came (though the weather was beautiful) summer was over,  I dreaded going back to school.  When I was teaching,  I felt the same way.  I wanted my summer break to last and last and last. I still have a kind of dread now in August, realizing that summer is winding down, that autumn is on the horizon, and winter will follow not far behind. And, to be honest, I always wonder how many more summers I will yet see.

This week I would like to write something about August.  What is happening in your life THIS August?  What are your feelings about August in general? What memories does "August" elicit?  When you were young, did you ever have a 'summer love'? Any special August event or happening stand out? What is August like where you live? Farmers' markets?  Activities?  Weather?

I shared the video of the Taylor Swift song "August" above.  I quite like this song, don't you? Here are the lyrics.  I have underlined a few lines that you might use as inspiration for writing if you are stymied :

Lyrics
Salt air, and the rust on your doorI never needed anything moreWhispers of "Are you sure?""Never have I ever before"
But I can see us lost in the memoryAugust slipped away into a moment in time'Cause it was never mineAnd I can see us twisted in bedsheetsAugust sipped away like a bottle of wine'Cause you were never mine
Your back beneath the sunWishin' I could write my name on itWill you call when you're back at school?I remember thinkin' I had you
But I can see us lost in the memoryAugust slipped away into a moment in time'Cause it was never mineAnd I can see us twisted in bedsheetsAugust sipped away like a bottle of wine'Cause you were never mine
Back when we were still changin' for the betterWanting was enoughFor me, it was enoughTo live for the hope of it allCancel plans just in case you'd callAnd say, "Meet me behind the mall"So much for summer love and saying "us"'Cause you weren't mine to loseYou weren't mine to lose, no
But I can see us lost in the memoryAugust slipped away into a moment in time'Cause it was never mineAnd I can see us twisted in bedsheetsAugust sipped away like a bottle of wine'Cause you were never mine'Cause you were never mine, never mine
But do you remember?Remember when I pulled up and said, "Get in the car"And then canceled my plans just in case you'd call?Back when I was livin' for the hope of it all, for the hope of it all"Meet me behind the mall"
Remember when I pulled up and said, "Get in the car"And then canceled my plans just in case you'd call?Back when I was livin' for the hope of it all (for the hope of it all)
For the hope of it allFor the hope of it all(For the hope of it all)(For the hope of it all)

I look forward to reading what you write.  Post the link to your one poem using Mr. Linky below.  Say hello to us in the comments if you wish, and be sure to visit the poems of others who link their poems.



20 comments:

  1. Thank you for the seasonal prompt Mary - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We don’t remember rain or grey skies
      Just running off alone
      Into our imagination"
      Yes, just the plump clouds, rearranging themselves for our pleasure. A wonderful poem.

      Delete
  2. Greetings, Friends! How did it get to be August already? Seems like only yesterday.....but now August rolls around again! Hope you will enjoy this prompt as much as I will enjoy reading what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this prompt Mary! August holds so many feelings, departures and arrivals for me. I hope to be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sumana and Mary, it is wonderful to be here with you both! I got busy at work so may not be back until Friday, but I hope to. Thank you again Mary for the lovely prompt!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful prompt Mary but we are now living in such a dark situation that my August poem became dark. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark, unfortunately, is a part of life, Sumana. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. The lyrics take me back in memory to long ago summers and a sweet summer love, but I wrote about a more current August. Thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this Taylor Swift song! I could almost turn into a "Swiftie"if all of her songs were like this!

      Delete
  6. Oh Mary ...this is a terrific prompt and one bound to bring a flood of memories .. of course on the night after two days of the DNC convention and all sorts of hope and change and so forth .. perhaps there might be glimmers there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see you, Pearl! And I will look forward to your take on August!!

      Delete
  7. I guess I'm your karmic balance, Mary, cos I see late August as the time when the night falls an hour earlier at last and the worst of the heat is normally behind us. Summer, to me, is too long, too bright, too loud, too buggy, too sweaty, too everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, Shay. Our feelings aboiut summer differ. Except -- I will agree with you about the bugs. We are in peak mosquito season right now, and it is awful!

      Delete
  8. For Annell: "we filled the lonely building
    which stood silent and empty
    all summer long
    waiting for our return" I love this personification of the school building itself. And then a lot of new things follow. Great! We never started back to school until after Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this - I am not a Taylor Swift fan - but i do like the album "1989" which has some really good songs on it - Especially "Wildest Dreams"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to listen to "1989." Thank you for linking, Alan!

      Delete