27 March 2024

The Coming of the Light

 


Greetings, fellow poets! Here in the northern hemisphere, we have been excitedly watching the days slowly lengthening. Last week was our spring equinox, and we are so ready for the coming of the light. So that is our topic this week – light itself, in whatever season you are in, or its absence. But I am also thinking about inner light, and the light we try to project into the world. During these dark times of so much global misery, it is sometimes hard to hold onto light and positivity.

I am reminded that Louise Erdrich  likened one's down times, or times when we feel like nothing is happening, wintery periods, as being times of gestation. I love that idea, that even when we are not consciously doing something, our spirits are still busily at work, processing, helping us grow, much as the earth does, harbouring seeds that will soon burst forth.

And how wonderful is that heart-lift, as the days lengthen and spring unfolds its wonders, a miracle every year. Some of you are experiencing the opposite cycle. What is happening to the light where you are? I always love reading about your lives in other places and other seasons.

When I think of beings who project inner light, Valarie Kaur  is such a one. She glows. She advises us, in her Ted Talk, that when things feel darkest, to consider the possibility that “This is not the darkness of the tomb, but the darkness of the womb”.  She encourages us to "breathe and push" some light into the world. “It’s time to birth the Beloved Community,” she says. “Are you ready for a revolution of the heart?”

Yes. We are.

So, this week: Contemplate light in whichever way you choose. Physical light, the coming of the light in spring, departing light, inner light, or the light we hope to project into the world that needs it so desperately. I look forward to being enlightened by your poems!

Please visit your fellow poets and check back for those who link later in the week, in the spirit of community.




Spring
by Mary Oliver

In the north country now it is spring and there
Is a certain celebration. The thrush
Has come home. He is shy and likes the
Evening best, also the hour just before
Morning; in that blue and gritty light he
Climbs to his branch, or smoothly
Sails there. It is okay to know only
One song if it is this one. Hear it
Rise and fall; the very elements of you should
Shiver nicely. What would spring be
Without it? Mostly frogs. But don’t worry, he

Arrives, year after year, humble and obedient
And gorgeous. You listen and you know
You could live a better life than you do, be
Softer, kinder. And maybe this year you will
Be able to do it. Hear how his voice
Rises and falls. There is no way to be
Sufficiently grateful for the gifts we are
Given, no way to speak the Lord’s name
Often enough, though we do try, and

Especially now, as that dappled breast
Breathes in the pines and heaven’s
Windows in the north country,
Now spring has come,
Are opened wide.

Light     
by Rabindrinath Tagore

Light, my light, the world-filling light,
the eye-kissing light,
heart-sweetening light!

Ah, the light dances, my darling, at the center of my life;
the light strikes, my darling, the chords of my love;
the sky opens, the wind runs wild, laughter passes over the earth.

The butterflies spread their sails on the sea of light.
Lilies and jasmine surge up on the crest of the waves of light.

The light is shattered into gold on every cloud, my darling,
and it scatters gems in profusion.

Mirth spreads from leaf to leaf, my darling,
and gladness without measure.
The heaven's river has drowned its banks
and the flood of joy is abroad.

The Coming of Light
by Mark Strand

Even this late it happens:
the coming of love, the coming of
light.
You wake and the candles are lit as if
by themselves.
Stars gather, dreams pour into your
pillows,
sending up warm  bouquets of air.
Even this late the bones of the body
shine
and tomorrow's dust flares into
breath.




29 comments:

  1. Thank you for the light Sherry - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, poets! Lovely to see you here. I am so looking forward to sharing poetry. I love Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon all! It's nearly dinner time and I've had a busy day, so I've linked up an old poem today. I hope you enjoy the glimpse of light among the birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going straight over to read it, Kim. Here, it is late morning......and the sun is out!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the prompt ... and the light that always shines from you and illuminates all ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you for the kind words. I think we are all trying hard to shine these days, the world is so in need.

      Delete
  5. Coincentally, I posted this little senryu this morning ..https://www.facebook.com/1247703093/videos/2595925573907551/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed this prompt! And I thank you for posting my poem! Again. I don't know why I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings, everyone! It is wonderful to have your prompt about light, Sherry. We so need a bit of uplifting right now. Looking forward to reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need all the light we can get. I am thankful for spring skies today.

      Delete
  8. Let me see what I can conjure up in the name of light - Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life has been on a bit of a downer at the moment so I guess I'll be writing a lot of humorous poetry....Sorry Sherry !.....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor is most welcome, Rall. Heaven knows we need it.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the prompt - it was fun to write about light !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jae Rose I am having trouble commenting on your blog. Please know I have read your poem. I think spring is a feeling that doesn't need to be figured out. Ah those storms can be frightening. Embracing light - Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry,
    I loved thinking out my poem for this magnificent prompt subject . Light is such an important factor in our lives.I'm so happy to be at the longer days time of year and hopefully, improving weather.
    I'll visit the poems linked.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely you're here, Eileen. I am grateful for the lengthening light too.

      Delete
  13. Annell, I enjoyed your poem but cannot say so on you blog, so here: I loved especially the scenes of anticipation and arrival that repeat throughout the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took a couple of days but mine is up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Took me a while, but I eventually found some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Cant wait to read it! So glad you are here!

      Delete
    2. LOVE IT--It opens before me like a scene from a film, so detailed!

      Delete
    3. Hi! I am the anonymous above.

      Delete