03 April 2024

Miracles


Unsplash

Miracles

Good morning, Poets!  I think sometimes we have to remind ourselves that all around us there are miracles.  In these troubling times, unfortunately sometimes we don't focus on them.  We are so busy focusing on the wars, the ramifications of climate change, the political unrest that we lose track of the good and the joys and.....yes....the miracles in our lives.

For today's prompt I would like you to try to find inspiration in the following poem, which speaks so well about "miracles" in our midst.  The poet speaks about the ordinary miracles she notices.  As you read the poem,  I hope it will make you think about the ordinary miracles you notice in your midst.


 Let it Be A Sky

by Erin Geesaman Rabke

Do you feel astonished at your great luck just to be here?
To have breakfast?
Maybe two eggs and buttered toast.
Maybe good hot coffee.
Maybe there’s running water that flows at any temperature you like.
Maybe you’ve forgotten
what miracles these are.

Perhaps there are spices resting in your cabinet
that used to require a months-long sea voyage to obtain.
Peppercorns. Cinnamon. Saffron. There they sit.
So quiet, almost as if it’s not extraordinary.

Maybe the sun is shining on your old wood floor
or glowing through a dirty window.
Perhaps a sprinkle of snow falling from a pine branch
is illuminated by a shaft of light.

The miracles are everywhere.
Look how many ancestors shine
through your aging hands.

Just think.
Right now you could be riddled with cancer.
Or a car crash could be in the works.
Or perhaps a great earthquake soon to erupt.

Or you could live for decades,
days full of breakfast, running water,
sunlight, pepper, cinnamon.

Those stones giving extra gravity to your heart?
Lay them down in the Great River of Grief.
It flows forever.
It softens everything.

And while you’re here
don’t miss the miracles.

Let your heart be a leaping dolphin.
At least sometimes.

Let it be an opening rose.
Let it be a deep rooted tree
growing between worlds.

Let it be a sky with room for it all.


What ordinary miracles have you noticed in your life, or in the world around you?  If you are struggling to find inspiration, perhaps start out with a line from the poem such as "Miracles are everywhere....." or "Do you feel astonished just to be here?" or "Let it be a sky with room for it all."

After you have linked your ONE poem, please visit the poems of other poets who have linked.  Also come back during the week to visit the poems of others who have linked later.  The prompt will close Sunday night at 8 p.m. Eastern.  We are looking forward to reading your words!

29 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone, it is always nice to put up a new prompt and see how it will inspire others to write. I am hoping that, now that spring is upon us, each of you has some 'miracles' in your life. Simple ones are fine! I know that because of so much bleakness in the world right now I have to INTENTIONALLY turn my thoughts to the positive as much as possible for my own well being. And that is what I hoped to accomplish with this prompt. Looking forward to reading your words this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful prompt, Mary. I especially love the inspiration poem, Let There Be a Sky. The blue sky has gotten me through my life. It keeps me Looking Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, the sky is a miracle we can enjoy each day, one which gives one hope.

      Delete
  3. Question: does it have to be a miracle in one's own life or can it be any miracle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be ANY miracle, Shay!!

      Delete
    2. Recalculating... LOL. I mean to say that I am still working on mine!

      Delete
    3. LOL! You sound like my GPS. Looking forward to it whenever it appears.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lovely prompt, Mary. I'm a bit late joining you today and my husband is due back after getting stranded in Sweden, so I'll be back in the morning to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be back even later, so I got a chance to read and comment after all!

      Delete
    2. Always glad to read your words, Kim.

      Delete
  5. Great prompt Mary and it fitted in with a poem i had written yesterday, so i linked it in. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Annell: "The world is alive." And your poem shows much of that wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are miracles everyday, if only we looked. - Let me see what speaks to me and I will be back - Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading what you come up with, Truedessa!

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed so much Rabke's poem and your prompt, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the poem, Dora. Just read YOUR poem as well - beautiful sentiments!

      Delete
  9. Miracles are all around us to be sure, Mary. Thanks for bringing them into view with this prompt, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dora, I read your poem and was able to "Like" it but was unable to comment for some reason. But I think your poem is so true and so well expressed. The touch of a hand really can affect so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes pausing for a moment is my miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several miracles! Ones that are humbling and one as simple as a robin in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the first robins in spring is always miraculous to me!!

      Delete
  13. Mary,
    Sorry I'll be absent from linking a poem this week, as I'm abroad on holiday.
    Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable, Eileen! Hope to see you next week. Enjoy your holiday.

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed Dora's poem but don't use Wordpress, of Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh at last I'm able to write for your wonderful prompt Mary. The scene which I wrote became so vivid that I couldn't write anything else than what I saw. I wish I could write something positive. Why am I anonymous again? Ugh. Sumana :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made it, Sumana! Thank you. And what a powerful poem!

    ReplyDelete