20 March 2024

Character(s) in Action


Let Action Reveal CHaracter: 

*real*fictional*Known*unknown*

"The Death of the Hired Man" by Robert Frost comes to mind when I think of characters in action in poetry.  How I love that poem, especially the dialogue!  Of course, character in action is drama, and any character from drama makes a great action poem.  In the examples below, I feature different types of poems/songs for characters in action. But, before we go there, think: 

if you were to write a poem showing a character in action 

        • Who would you pick? 
        • Why? 
        • What moment in the life?
        • Where?
For this prompt, write a narrative poem or ballad, centered on a character in action (3rd person)--OR speak as the character in action (1st person).  In either case, tell a story so we readers can know Who and "What's Going On?"

💚💚💚



harriet

harriet
if i be you
let me not forget
to be the pistol
pointed
to be the madwoman
at the rivers edge
warning
be free or die
and isabell
if i be you
let me in my
sojourning
not forget
to ask my brothers
ain't i a woman too
and
grandmother
if i be you
let me not forget to
work hard
trust the Gods
love my children and
wait.
💚💚💚

Ophelia

My locks are shorn for sorrow
Of love which may not be;
Tomorrow and tomorrow
Are plotting cruelty.
The winter wind tangles
These ringlets half-grown,
The sun sprays with spangles
And rays like his own.
Oh, quieter and colder
Is the stream; he will wait;
When my curls touch my shoulder

He will comb them straight.

💚💚💚 

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was richyes, richer than a king
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

💚💚💚

19 comments:

  1. I love the Lucille Clifton poem. What an interesting prompt. I am looking forward to the stories!!! Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Sherry. It was fun to create this prompt. Welcome to all poets who blog! This week, we are going for the action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to put in my name again. The above anonymous WELCOME is from me.

      Delete
  3. A lovey selection of example poems, Susan! We're having internet problems at the moment, so I've linked up an old poem that fits the bill. The engineer is due out tomorrow to fix the fault and then we'll be upgraded to high-speed fibre at the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great prompt Susan and all the selected poems. Now looking forward to read others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! This i know how to do! Wonderful prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Jae Rose:
    "She skips and dances
    Around my ankles
    My little girl
    My character . . . " For always. I see the action and the lightness of being.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I like the topic of your prompt this week. It is good to see a bit of story and actions rather than just descriptions. I have enjoyed the poems I have read so far and hope more will accept this wonderful challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just this morning I listened to your accompanying music. I hadn't listened to "Ode to Billie Joe" for a long time, so it was interesting to go back in time...never really was a fan of that song, for some reason, though it was popular. I enjoyed Holly Near's "Harriet Tubman." Always enjoyed her voice & her songs, this one being no exception. Both songs fit well with your prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan,
    I hope that my effort will be acceptable for this week's very interesting prompt subject.
    I have been mulling over several options for my contribution and decided upon my linked poem..It is based on factual experiences at The Loews Hotel Santa Monica a few years ago. There were a couple of other interesting happenings, which I may retain for a future topic!
    I shall visit and comment the linked poems:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than acceptable, Eileen, your poem is unique and even amusing!

      Delete
  10. Oooh Susan thank you for this prompt... it has been on my mind throughout the day - I went back and read a summary of the book and fell in love once again... Will be back to read and comment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the prompt - I thought of a story most of you will know !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been entranced by the poems for this prompt! There are 7 more hours. Maybe we could have 7 more poems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which, of course, would mean 7 more people . . .

      Delete