13 March 2024

Children

 

SOURCE

 ‘Happy early days’ should be the beginning of a human life, very much alive to the wonders of the world around. Henry Vaughn (1622-’95), the Welsh Metaphysical poet considers his childhood as his angel infancy (The Retreat). Can all children afford to have this rosy view of life?

 

You are to craft a poem from a child’s perspective about everything a child comes across. See life; see this world through the eyes of a child.

 

Here are three poems by A. A. Milne, Maya Angelou and Warsan Shire. When Shire writes she opens her eyes to the harsh reality of living as an undocumented refugee in Europe.

 

You might want to write following one of them or you can have your way to set the child in a world of its own.

 

 

Now We Are Six

By A. A. Milne

 

When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

 

 

Life Doesn’t Frighten Me

By Maya Angelou

 

Shadows on the wall
Noises down the hall
Life doesn't frighten me at all

Bad dogs barking loud
Big ghosts in a cloud
Life doesn't frighten me at all

Mean old Mother Goose
Lions on the loose
They don't frighten me at all

Dragons breathing flame
On my counterpane
That doesn't frighten me at all.

I go boo
Make them shoo
I make fun
Way they run
I won't cry
So they fly
I just smile
They go wild

Life doesn't frighten me at all.

Tough guys fight
All alone at night
Life doesn't frighten me at all.

Panthers in the park
Strangers in the dark
No, they don't frighten me at all.

That new classroom where
Boys all pull my hair
(Kissy little girls
With their hair in curls)
They don't frighten me at all.

Don't show me frogs and snakes
And listen for my scream,
If I'm afraid at all
It's only in my dreams.

I've got a magic charm
That I keep up my sleeve
I can walk the ocean floor
And never have to breathe.

Life doesn't frighten me at all
Not at all
Not at all.

 

Life doesn't frighten me at all.

 

 

Home

By Warsan Shire

 

no one leaves home unless

home is the mouth of a shark.

 

you only run for the border

when you see the whole city 

running as well.

 

your neighbours running faster 

than you, the boy you went to school with

who kissed you dizzy behind 

the old tin factory is

holding a gun bigger than his body,

you only leave home

when home won't let you stay.

 

(Read the rest HERE)


Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt. When you link your poem please visit other links in the spirit of the community




29 comments:

  1. Hello friends! Hope you all enjoy the prompt. We are looking forward to reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prompt, Sumana. Sadly, I saw life through the eyes of a child in a war zone. Depressing, but very much in our minds and hearts these days. I wish that every child could have a safe and sunny childhood. I am looking forward to reading the responses, as I love looking at the world through the eyes of children who are not in war zones. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reality, dear Sherry. Having seen what's going on these days I can't help quote Wordsworth's famous lines from Lines Written in Early Spring : Have I not reason to lament / What man has made of man?

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the prompt .. I wrote quickly and will probably write again more thoughtfully.. need to work and be back in a bit to read and comment. Wonderful prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pearl here... not sure why I'm not coming up this morning.. but I am here

      Delete
    2. Pearl, were you the one who responded to my poem as "Anonymous"? I will assume so.

      Delete
    3. No, I haven't responded yet today... need to work for a bit.

      Delete
  4. Sumana, I took the opportunity to think back on my childhood and write from the perspective of being 'age 9.' Everything was not wonderful back then, but it was really fun to look back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, specially if it's childhood is always fun, Mary. :)

      Delete
  5. It's so late here now; bedtime; I'll visit you all tomorrow morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pearl. Oh I have become anonymous. Sumana

      Delete
  7. If you're listening Jae and Rall, please see if your settings allow outsiders to sign in on your blog. I've gotten on everywhere but yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jae: I particularly like the acknowledgment in the poem that the two speakers might be art of each other.

      Delete
    2. Rall: "so you see / we keep on doing this" sums up this amazing poem. Your chosen details make this poem powerful. The parallels are unmistakable. Thanks, too, for the Weisel quote!

      Delete
    3. My settings say anyone including anonymous can make a comment on my blog...thanks for your comment on here....i don't know why I'm anonymous either.....Rall

      Delete
  8. I too cannot comment on Jae and Ralls blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you should be able to comment on mine, as I have comments open for "Anonymous." One does not have to have a Blogger /Google account to comment.

      Delete
  9. Great prompt - certainly got me thinking about those long summer days stuck inside !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Your poem was a delight to read.

      Delete
  10. Sumana,
    A very thought-provoking prompt, at least from the perspective I decided to write. I'll always associate age eleven with major changes to my previously peaceful world.
    I shall be visiting the poems linked by everyone else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sad when our familiar world begins to change and shows an unknown face and peace drifts away at such a tender age as eleven. Your poem forces one to think of the time when a child has to resort to make believe to have peace and comfort. Thank you Eileen for this thought provoking poem.

      Delete
  11. Must check my settings...whatever that is:) https://rallentanda.blogspot.com/2024/03/classic-prague-awards-2018-klara-8.html...I depressed myself so much with my poem I put this cinquain on as an antidote:)....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, harsh truth hits us hard. Enjoyed your feel-good cinquain, cute and incredible. :)

      Delete
  12. I love the prompt. I've had so many moths of hard reality. I thought I'd just go with my inner child on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie for joining us and gifting us a lovely poem. Sumana

      Delete
    2. Your google sign-in blocked me from commenting on my new favorite of your poems! Wow, Susie! "My mom says my imagination is too big. / I should cut it into smaller pieces" Imagine that! At least the idea of fitting it on the table could be imaginative--but this child knows not to compromise. I love it!

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Sumana, for your great prompt; and thanks to everyone who responded. So much inteesting reading! Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete