17 January 2024

Bridges

 


Photo : Sumana Roy
                                                     


The chapel Bridge of Lucerne, Switzerland inspires me to write today’s prompt. It is a covered wooden footbridge, the oldest covered bridge in Europe, built in the 14th century, spanning the river Reuss diagonally, in Lucerne.

 As I began my walk over the Reuss I immediately felt that this bridge was more than a mere structure. It was unusually alive and embodied the spirit of connection and renewal. How effortlessly it bridged past and present with its 17th century paintings in triangular frames and the magnificent floral display of today. It indeed was a hanging delight.

 Wikipedia says, this bridge almost burned down on 18 August 1993, destroying two thirds of its interior paintings. Shortly thereafter, it was reconstructed and again opened to the public.

 The bridge breathes stories of the past as well as the present. All bridges do.

 Today write a Bridge poem. Your bridge may be real or metaphorical and not to forget Bridge is a card game too.

 

Here is a couple of poems for your inspiration:

 ClarkStreet Bridge by Carl Sandburg

 Bridges by Wayne Visser



Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt. When you link your poem please visit other links in the spirit of the community


22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prompt - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jae for the beauty you've shared today.

      Delete
  2. Hello poets! I posted an old poem this time, Sumana. I had started a poem for a bridge I pass on the way to visit my mother, but it stalled in the recent storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem Susan; the paper boat image is so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the prompt, Sumana. I am really enjoying the responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. You're so right. Love the responses.

      Delete
  5. Hello friends! Happy Wednesday! Another week of poetry writing. We look forward to reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will enjoy what I've written!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sumana,
    Thank you for the subject of your poetry prompt this week.
    I have actually walked across the wooden bridge in Lucerne, as I visited the city some years ago.
    My poem looks at bridges with a personal perspective, while negotiating life's obstacles..
    I shall be visiting the poems linked here to read and comment, later in the day..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone, well for music I explored the bridge so for bridge I contemplate the building of such. I hope the structure is something worth dwelling upon 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many sites will not allow me to comment (a continuing problem) but I enjoyed everyone's contributions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerfe, this does seem to be an on going problem for folks these days. The Chrome browser seems to work best with Blogger, but it is annoying these glitches are so persistent. So glad you linked your beautiful post here.

      Delete
  10. Sumana, your prompt is continuing to inspire some beautiful and diverse poetry! It has been wonderful to read the wonderful contributions this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes are feasting on amazing poetry, Mary.
      Oh! Why did I become Anonymous? Sumana

      Delete
  11. Kernel,
    I have left a comment at your poem. Unfortunately it lists me as Anonymous..
    Loved your poem..
    Eileen
    https://mypoeticparlance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete