15 November 2023

I LOVE



Hi Friends,

We all know these are difficult days.  Wars. Politics. Climate Change. Anti-this.  Anti-that. Etc. So much to be concerned about in our world today.  I was thinking, when I composed this post that, despite all, there are things that are good, positive, beautiful in our midst.  Things we Love.  People we Love. So today, just today, let's focus on that.

First of all, I would like you to listen to this song "I Love" by Tom T. Hall, who was an American country music singer-songwriter.  In fact, he composed songs for dozens of country music singers such as Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, in addition to writing songs for himself.  If you take a look at a list of songs he has written, you will find many familiar hits from times gone by.

His song "I Love" was released in 1973 and sung by him.  It was his most successful single.

Here are some of the lyrics:

I love little baby ducks, old pick-up trucks
Slow movin' trains and rain
I love little country streams, sleep without dreams
Sunday school in May and hay

and I love you too

I love leaves in the wind, pictures of my friends
Birds of the world and squirrels
I love coffee in a cup, little fuzzy pups
Bourbon in a glass and grass

And I love you too

You can "google" the entire song of you would like all of the words.

So, poets, take it from there.  What do YOU love?  Write a poem about these things.  Feel free to write in the style of Tom T. Hall if you wish.  That is what I think I did.  Smiles.  (RhymeZone is your friend.) If you don't want to write in his style, write in your own.  But tell us:  What do YOU love?

The prompt will close Sunday at 8 P.M. Eastern.

Oh - and lest I forget, after you share, please visit other poets.  It is part of the fun, I think: Writing a poem and seeing what other people have written.  I don't know about you, but I am always impressed by the variety of poems we all come up with for each prompt.  


27 comments:

  1. Greetings, Poets! I hope that this post will resonate with you today. Even though these are difficult times, there is still a lot to love. I shared what I love & look forward to reading what you love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a wonderful prompt Mary. Eagerly waiting for the words to come.

      Delete
  2. Finally I make it in time! There is a lot to love, past and present. Thanks for prompting us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a lot to love! Thanks for joining us today.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful prompt, reminding us to be aware of all there is to love, always, all around us, no matter what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you all played the video - which has the words of Tom T. Hall's song plus some beautifuly touching pictures. I have listened to it a number of times myself now, and it makes my heart leap a little bit each time as I look at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken you on my final journey, embracing everything that I love to my core, and which I want to experience intimately, on final turn on my mandala of life. It’s an ecstatic final journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated your "final journey" poem, Rob! We all are on such a journey...no one cap escape ,

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oh Rob! My goodness, I thought your poem was exquisite, on first read I thought it a bit beautifully melancholy given the light-heartedness of the Tom Hall song - however on second read I added to my comment and must say here that to be permitted to join you on your final journey poem is truly a privilege - the poem, inspiring, comforting, soothing, and ultimately shimmering with the excitement and future possiblities in a return to the nature you so brilliantly love.

      Delete
  6. Mary,
    An excellent prompt with many possibilities and directions..I chose to consider the subject of travelling, which is something I did very frequently until a few years ago.
    Lots of great memories and stacks of photographs to review..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Eileen! It doesn't surprise me at all that you chose to write about travel, which always brings you so much joy.

      Delete
  7. Hi all... This song has not left my mind... I'm not reading any others until I write mine... A truly fun - albeit distracting prompt.... I LOVE YOU TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay finally wrote and posted and now I'll be able to read all and enjoy without fear of plagerizing! Hugs... Loved this happy prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed your take, Pearl. It was a uplifting read!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous prompt, Mary. What's better than love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, great to see you. So true, not much better than love.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mary! Great to "see" you and read you, too :-)

      Delete
  10. Truedessa, I tried to comment on your poem but couldn't. Your blog now says it is only for invited people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. It flashed a message saying I had not been invited to read the blog!

      Delete
  11. Such wonderful poems! Thanks, Mary, for an uplifting prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fully agree with you Sherry , that Mary's prompt and her presentation of the whole subject, was very uplifting and allowed for a great range of poetic responses.
    Thank you to those who have reciprocated with visits to read and comment. It encourages and sustains those who who very kindly facilitate this great blog opportunity each week..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the variety of poems that resulted from this prompt; and I also appreciate those who reciprocate with visits to read and comment. It is indeed encouraging! Thank you, Eileen, for your kind words.

      Delete