08 November 2023

WALKING IN EARTH SHOES

As we are responding, in our various ways, to all that is going on in the wider world, and to a war where so many are suffering, when there is so much pain and division, and not enough tears in the world to heal it, I turn to the wild and green places for solace. I thought we might do that today, find some trees, breathe in some peacefulness and, maybe, some hope. 

This week, I’d love to know how life is for you, right now, in the place where you live. Let’s put our earth shoes on and go outside. What’s going on in your neighbourhood, town or city? How are you feeling about the state of the world and, when you are heartsick, where do you go for solace?

  • Give us a snapshot of where you live, whether urban or rural.
    What do you see all around you?
  • Is the view beloved to you?
  • Is there a special tree, or trail, or park you visit often?
  • You might write about things that worry you, in your community,
    noting any changes or losses.
  • You might ponder what these changes mean to our fellow creatures,
    the wild ones, who share this planet with us.
  • Put on your earth shoes and take us into the natural world around you.

                                           
                                                                          Night Goddess
                                                  copyright Janet Newton @janetnewtonart

Here is a poem for inspiration: (I love its closing lines!)

I WORRIED
by Mary Oliver

I worried a lot. Will the garden grow, will the rivers flow in the right direction, will the earth turn as it was taught, and if not how shall I correct it?

Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven, can I do better?

Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows can do it and I am, well,
hopeless.

Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it, am I going to get rheumatism, lockjaw, dementia?

Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing. And gave it up. And took my old body and went out into the morning, and sang.

***

Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt.  When you link your poem, please visit other links, in the spirit of community. I am so happy to be writing with you again.

***


26 comments:

  1. Good morning, friends! I hope your Wednesday is happy and peaceful. I'm looking forward to reading about the places where you find solace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful prompt Sherry. And I love the Mary Oliver poem you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too - in spite of everything, let's go out into the morning and sing!!!!

      Delete
  3. I had to look past the rain and floods of the past couple of weeks , which cheered me up no end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floods are no fun. I hope they recede quickly. I loved the photos of your place in the world. So beautiful.

      Delete
  4. I love the Mary Oliver poem and this prompt is so in synch (as for most I presume) with how I was feeling upon awakening and jotting down a quick poem which I'll probably share here. Today the skies are blue and the air crisp the trees out front have turned autumnal and after some initial dreary hours of dread of it all I too am ready to reach out here to read and connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are here, Pearl. Sharing and connecting helps, and I am loving the different voices and glimpses of faraway places.

      Delete
  5. Melbourne Cup is a big event nationwide down under....we had beautiful Spring weather and there were a lot of smiles and camaraderie about....I only have a bet once a year on Melbourne Cup and I'm not backing anymore French horses...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your poem, and photos, Rall. Such a pickmeup to read about a happy event. My grandma loved horses! My sister does too.

      Delete
  6. Oops the above is Rall

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everybody! Thank you for reading and commenting on my poem. Now I get to read yours and see where your earth shoes take you (and me). A joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, i loved your ode to your tree so much. Maybe if you frame a photo of it to take to your new home, it will hold good memories for you.

      Delete
  8. Sherry,
    Thank you for your lovely prompt topic for this week.
    I immediately knew that the prompt would apply very well to a tree in my garden, which looks very seasonal at the moment. I loved the scene I photographed this morning. That one leaf said so much, as it rested among the flowers.
    I am going to visit the other poems posted, in the spirit of kind reciprocation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you here, Eileen. I am "late" here, as it is just eight a.m. where I am, so I am off to catch up myself! Smiles.

      Delete
  9. Your prompt produced some fine poetry, Sherry. I have enjoyed and commented on all of them. It is always a joy to see what people write each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too - getting a glimpse of our friends' lives in other places. Always a pleasure.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sherry. I am a bit loopy on pain pills right now. I just had some major oral surgery done but I wanted to stop by drop a link off here to a poem I written and tell you that I’m enjoying your prom side here. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're so glad, Rob. It is nice to be back, writing with old friends again. Hope your mouth heals up well. Oral surgery can be so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My poem is more about the political landscape of my new hometown. It is a "destination" I visit with some frequency...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking time out during your move to join us, Amy. So good to see you here. It sounds like you have landed nicely, among a great bunch of people. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello. Ok to post it here?

    Leaves are busy falling
    Around the workmen on the polls
    Adjusting our electricity so I can dry my hair
    The world has exploded
    A thousand years or more ago
    But the shockwave has only just now hit us

    The view is beloved to me
    This is a place of healing
    An oak tree in my yard names me
    And I name it
    Forever
    You will be like this, deep roots, reaching up
    At the water's edge, birds nest in your branches
    You are never afraid in a time of drought
    You feed many

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this very lovely poem. I love your oak tree named Forever.........and the thought that it will be a home for birds and small creatures long after we are gone...........Beautiful

      Delete
  15. I worry too much and would like to give it up. Thanks for the prompt. (Oliver is one of my favorite poets.)

    ReplyDelete