18 September 2024

Choices

Choices

Today I would like you to write a poem about choices. We all are forced to make choices throughout life.  Some of our choices turn out to be good ones for us, but I doubt there is a person who cannot look back on their life and regret a choice they made.  Every choice that one makes leads somewhere.  A person would not be where they were today if it were not for the choices that they made.

Consider writing a poem about a particular choice that you made and where it led you. Consider writing about a choice someone else made and what happened as a result. Consider what choices you as a person or we as society have today. Should all of us have choices? Should people have choices made for them?  Should choices for some be limited?    Just let your mind go with the word, and see what comes to mind for you.

I am sharing a song by the group The Franklin Electric of their song "Choices."  I hope you will listen to it, but I will share the words of the last stanza:

"And there's a spirit in your body like a voice telling you
But you can't escape the choices that you choose
No you can't escape the choices that you choose."

Listen and enjoy!

     


Of course,  I am sure all of you are familiar with Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken."  I have included it, as a refresher, and perhaps inspiration below:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

By now I hope you have some ideas!  I hope you will CHOOSE to write to this prompt. Smiles. 
I look forward to reading your poem!

After you have written your poem, please link it using Mr. Linky below.  
Stop in and say hello in the comments.
And visit other poets who link throughout the week.
Mr. Linky will close Sunday night at 8 pm Eastern!



8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prompt Mary - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing to it, Jae! Always great to see you.

      Delete
    2. Bravo on your 3 part response. Eloquent.

      Delete
  2. Greetings, Friends! I think the prompt is quite self explanatory, and you have a lot of CHOICES on how you will approach it. I really look forward to reading your words. And, please also visit other poets who post. Come back a few times during the week to see who else has shared! Enjoy, and write on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mary, for an interesting topic. There are certainly some big choices the world, and especially the United States, have to make right now. I hope everyone chooses well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Sherry! Some big choices ahead!

      Delete