03 January 2024

THE MUSIC OF OUR YOUTH


Music was everything back then, wasn't it?

I remember walking into a gallery in Gastown in Vancouver, in 1972. Elton John was on the stereo, (“Isn’t it funny, that feeling inside?”) and I felt my youth, my freedom from an oppressive marriage, the beauty of the song. I was twenty-seven, and my life, three children later, was beginning all over again, on a much happier track.

Fleetwood Mac, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, and so many other voices, sang to me of the journey, of all that lay ahead, of reaching out to life and following where it led.

I experienced Woodstock only second hand, on tv. But Joni sang it straight to my heart: “We are stardust, we are golden…….and we have to get ourselves back to the garden.” I dreamed that dream. I felt the stardust, and the glow of that loving future the songs promised.



We were the generation who thought we'd change the world. We tried. For a time, it was all peace and love. John Lennon's assassination dealt the death knell to our dreaming.

Crowds of shocked and weeping fans filled Central Park in New York, waving lighted candles. John’s voice was singing: (“The dream is over….what can I say?”)

It was over indeed. It was our world that changed. We went back into our houses, raised our kids, worked to pay the bills. But we will never forget those golden days lit with starshine, when hope was alive and music was the soundtrack of our lives.

What memories do you have of that time in your life? What songs were playing in the background? Give us a snapshot of your life back then.  Or share with us what you feel, what you remember, when you hear those songs today.




A poem for inspiration from one of our early Poets United members, Bob Hazelton:

Roses In the Park

We gathered speechless in the growing dark
remembering the brilliance of his light
and left our rosy sorrow in the park
As one of four he made a lasting mark
which cruelly found his heart that fateful night;
we listened speechless in the growing dark

and prayed the news report was just a lark,
for who would ever… but no, it was right;
we lost our rosy visions. In that park

so named for berried plains, the truth is stark
that being human should bring great delight,
not speechless mourning in the growing dark;

commemorate the magic of his spark
and offer love to all within your sight.
The scent of rosy tributes in the park

imbue the air with their resigned remark,
imagine his disdain for this sad rite.
We gather speechless in the growing dark,
and leave our rosy visions in the park.

Robert Cameron Hazelton  

***

Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt.  When you link your poem, please visit other links, in the spirit of community.

 

 

21 comments:

  1. Happy Wednesday, poets! And Happy New Year! Let's take a walk back in time today, as we leave 2023 in the dust and look forward - hopefully - to a better year ahead. Wishing you all good things as we begin another year of sharing poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time waits for no one.

    My teen years were the 80's. I feel like we had lots of nonsense music. Everything was fluorescent and dumb. 😄 I had friends who wished they'd been teens in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids were teens in the 80's. ABBA, Fleetwood Mack, some good tunes. I used to wake them up blasting music in the morning and singing along. Smiles.

      Delete
  3. A lovey prompt Sherry! Wishing you and all the poets a wonderful new year. I didn't know what to write about Indian music. So I wrote generally what I felt about it when we were in our youthful years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to listen to more Indian music. So beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the prompt, Sherry, and especially thanks for sharing Bob Hazelton's poem! So nice to see 'old faces' in our midst again. I look forward to reading the poems this prompt inspires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love reconnecting with the poets we have known for so long.

      Delete
  5. Great to start the new year with a song - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have time to write a new poem and already had three poems that fit the bill. It was hard to choose, but I decided on one. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone, happy new year! I am honored and happy that one of my poems could help with inspiration, as a lifelong guitar player music means more to me than words can say. I have been listening to the seventies channel on my radio and sometimes get swept up in the emotions of reliving early moments that mean so much. Look forward to reading and moving forward as Sherry stated, onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here, Bob, and to revisit your poem, which I remembered through all the years since I first read it. I cant think of a finer life than one that music leads one on. My dad was a musician but I never got to learn an instrument. So I sang instead.

      Delete
  8. One of my favourite themes. Thanks for reminding me of some foundational music,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old tunes are golden, right, Ollie? Filled with memories. I go back even farther, including the tunes of my parents' day, which I also love.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ollie - I couldn't comment n your site I love how the music is physical not just a memory - Jae

      Delete
  9. "Did you exchange your walk-on part in a war for a leading role in a cage?" Sums up what happened with the baby boomers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that is a good quote. I held onto my bright-eyed optimism right up to 2016. Not sustainable after that!

      Delete
  10. Amy, your poem and the story it tells blew my doors off. Wow! The closest I ever got to the Beatles was their yellow Rolls Royce, which was in Victoria's museum for a time..........John Lennon is my fave. His music makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been traveling again. So I was quite late in visiting some of our wonderful poets.

    ReplyDelete