06 December 2023

The Tongues of Falling Trees

 


The Hanging Garden Tree
on Meares Island, Tofino

I have a very special poem to share with you this week. It gave me the idea for this week's prompt. It was written by Vancouver's Poet Laureate, Fiona Tinwei Lam . Her book of poems, titled Odes and Laments, is available at Caitlin Press.  

THE TREES HAVE NO TONGUES
by Fiona Tinwei Lam (Used with permission.)

Yet they sough and sigh as they sway,
receiving sunlight, open-palmed,
or creak and moan in winter blasts.
Dawn to dusk, biophonic chorales
held within and between upheld limbs –
trills, pecks, caws, thrums, hoots.

Within each trunk, clicks, pops and crackles
as tiny embolisms of air break
tension, tensile rivers coursing
in ultrasonic song up
through xylem
to bough, branch, twig,

while below the forest floor,
lacing roots entwine
in a wood-wide web of questing
dendrites enmeshed in fungi
to commune with kin,
nurse saplings, nourish the ailing,
or plot and warn as they record

each marauding. The forest
suspends its breath with every felled
giant. Roar of uprooted centuries,
wrenching of earthlimb from earthflesh.
Who will hear?
As the world smoulders,
let each poem be
a fallen tree’s tongue.

How my heart leapt at this idea - that, in our poems, we can be the voice of falling trees, can speak their fear and pain, and also their beauty and life-giving properties. Our poems can be voices for the many beyond-human beings who share this planet with us, and suffer so terribly because of our encroachment, and their loss of habitat, as trees fall to clearcutting and development, accelerating the climate crisis. 

All last summer, wildfires burned all across Canada. The whole of the North West Territories was on fire. Evacuating populations was a logistical nightmare. Watching Maui burn was shocking. Tree loss is contributing to a rapidly heating planet,  warming seas, and melting poles. Mature trees are the best storers of carbon emissions on the planet. It is unfathomable to me that clearcutting the last of the old growth is still happening, when trees are needed as never before to cool Mother Earth.

In our poems this week, let's speak for the trees.

  • There might be a forest you love to walk through.
  • You may have a relationship with one special tree that you watch through the seasons.
  • You might wish to address the impact of  tree loss on the forests near you.
  • Or you might want to write about all that trees give us: beauty, peace and the very breath in our bodies.           
Here is Mary Oliver, on the topic of trees:

WHEN I AM AMONG THE TREES
by Mary Oliver

When I am among the trees
espe
cially the willows and the honey locust
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines
they give off such hints of gladness
I would almost say that they save me, and daily
I am so distant from the hope of myself
in which I have goodness, and discernment
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, ‘Stay awhile.’
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, ‘It’s simple,’ they say
‘and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine.’



 ***

After you link your poem, please visit other poets in the spirit of community. I am looking forward to reading your poems, speaking for - or to - the trees.


18 comments:

  1. Good morning! Lovely to see all of you here already. I am moving slowly because I was up late at a poetry reading last night. Smiles. The place was packed. It was lovely. This village LOVES poetry! I am so looking forward to walking among the trees today in your poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, Sherry! It must be nice to live in a place where poetry reading is so appreciated! I too am looking forward to some fine reading here this week!

      Delete
    2. It is a lovely village - and the offerings were so diverse, including a VERY energetic rap from a lively young man. Smiles.

      Delete
  2. Such a great prompt. I know you know I wrote my poem weeks ago. I am so tired from moving that even touching the keys takes more effort than I have. Today a maintenance employee came up to help me hang art. It took all day, and I'll have to store half of what I own. It's all by Mom and Grandmother, so I'm reluctant to part with it. When do we start owning nothing, like the trees? Hello, hello to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling of letting go, Susan. It is especially hard when it comes to art created by family. Yikes. I have pictures ALL over my walls. Not just a neatly hung one here and there - I use all the space! Cant let any of my wolf pix go! Thanks for linkingin the middle of settling in. You must be soooo tired!

      Delete
  3. Sherry, that is a wonderful prompt! Thank you for inspiring us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am happy you like it, Mary. Fiona Tinwei Lam, the lovely poet laureate of Vancouver, who wrote the inspirational poem, peeked in when I sent her the link. That makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. Sherry,
    This is a prompt subject that I know is very close to your heart.
    I have contributed a poem, while thinking about a tree in my own garden, I often refer to as my tree of seasons...
    Thank you for this very emotive subject Sherry ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see you, Eileen. I love the idea of "my tree of seasons". It is awesome to have such a tree in one's own yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite poems in the examples and in our poets! I shall be back later to comment! BTW.. my brother and sister-in-law live on 35 acres in a rainforest in Costa Rica....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pearl, how magical for your brother and sister-in-law.......I hope you get there for visits! I also hope their rainforest is not experiencing drouhg for much of the year like Clayoquot Sound is. So incredible how the climate has changed since I lived here before when it was truly still a rainforest. I am enjoying all of these lovely tree poems so much! I hope the trees are feeling the love!

      Delete
    2. Hi Pearl - hoping you will still have an opportunity to comment. Always like to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  7. It's so lovely to read all the wonderful responses to your great prompt Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying them so much! I hope the trees are standing tall and proud in response. Smiles. Thank you, poets, for your lovely offerings.

      Delete
  8. I'm late, but I hadn't written in forever so I thought I take a try at it. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Susie Clevenger. I can't seem to post as myself on here.

      Delete
  9. Susie! We are so happy to see you here. Yay!

    ReplyDelete