20 December 2023

Happy New Year!

 

SOURCE


“Come, gentlemen, I hope we shall drink down all unkindness.”—William Shakespeare, The Merry Wives of Windsor


As another year is right round the corner, we are ready to ring out the old and ring in the new one.

 

For me it’s a time for contemplation too; looking back and ahead; awaiting the wonder and the unexpected; the bright spots and the dark corners; delight for the new vista in time and a tinge of sadness for the time lost forever.

 

Are you reflective too? Do you also pause and be mindful of what was? Or would you prefer to think of what is coming tomorrow and step into new beginnings? Do you have your resolutions for the new year? How does 2024 inspire you as it gathers itself for flight?

 

Yosa Buson (1716—1783), the renowned Japanese poet and painter of the Edo period writes : 


The old calendar

fills me with gratitude

like a song.


A couple of poems for your inspiration :

Ode to the First Day of the year by Pablo Neruda

Burning the Old by Naomi Shihab Nye


Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt. When you link your poem please visit other links in the spirit of the community


14 comments:

  1. I'm afraid it's another old poem this week. This time of year always gets me down - it's when my mother contracted the pneumonia that finally killed her in January 2017. I hope to have recovered from my melancholy by mid-January, ready to write new poems for the New Year - a little late, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely understandable, Kim! Just glad to have you here.

      Delete
    2. This is a beautiful poem Kim. I am so sorry for your loss. Mothers are mothers. January is very heavy for me too. I also lost my loved one at this time of the year.

      Delete
    3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kim and Sumana, and am so glad you are here.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, poets. Thank you, Sumana, for hosting. I love both Shakespear's quote and the lines by Buson. And excellent poem examples. It is a time of reflection, and gratitude.......I think 2024 is going to be a year whose consequences could be felt for years to come. I just hope people elect their leaders wisely. Happy holidays, poets! May all be exceedingly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry.
      Here in India JN.1 Covid variant is raising its head. So we are a bit skeptical about a happy new year. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Hello Everyone! Enjoy reading and sharing. It's almost 10 : 30 P.M. here. Hope 2024 brings happiness to all.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Sumana, I am always reflective as one year ends and another one begins. Part of my brain is looking behind and part of it is looking ahead. I will try to keep some hope for the new year, hope that something positive will happen to stop the warring, hope for more love and acceptance and less hatefulness. And yes, there is always a tinge of sadness for what will never be again! Thank you for this opportunity to reflect and read others' reflections, Sumana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Mary. More love and hope and less hatefulness is the right track to continue our journey forward.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the prompt and happy new year to all I have two poems that might fit Beginning and Sheep in Winter - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jae for joining us today & gifting us a delightful poem.

      Delete
  5. O Sumana! Thank you for Nye and Neruda and Buson. I will keep all their poems in my file of poems I cannot live without. And now to let myself reflect on "Happy New Year." I not made it a holiday for years, celebrating only by putting the new copyright date on my blogged poems. Hmm. I will try to make of the day a portal . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan for sharing such a wonderful reflection on "Happy New Year".

      Delete
  6. Happy Christmas Eve! (Staying aware of the tragedy in Gaza and the cancelling of Christmas in Bethlehem.)

    ReplyDelete