11 October 2023

GRATITUDE

 



This past Monday was Thanksgiving in Canada, my friends. It does feel like it comes soon in Canada, but maybe that's because winter closes down early too, and the first settlers celebrated their harvests, then knuckled down for the long winter. As do we still.

As I am in the time of life when I am aging gratefully, gratitude is something I feel daily: thankful to be here, in the town I love so much, and to be in relatively good health, compared to what many are going through. With extreme climate events happening so suddenly and randomly all over the planet, one learns to be grateful for every ordinary day: when we are living our normal routines, and are not fleeing floods, hurricanes and wildfires. (I never expected to have to write a sentence like that in my lifetime!) And now a new war, which hurts our human hearts.

The dictionary states gratitude is the quality or feeling of being thankful - grace, thankfulness, appreciation. Today let's ponder gratitude, and the many reasons we have to be grateful every day. 




When you link your poem, please visit your fellow poets in the spirit of community, and remember to check back to visit those who link later. We are so grateful to all of you for sharing your beautiful poems with us.


19 comments:

  1. Good morning, poets! I put this prompt together before the Middle East exploded. It almost makes me feel guilty to be pondering gratitude when so many are suffering all over the world, especially in the Israel-Gaza conflict. My poem, too, was written before this latest terror, and I struggle for words at the moment when things are so dire there. So fling your net wide - write whatever you are feeling. Maybe it is hard to feel gratitude right now. Maybe being grateful for the little things keeps us going. Whatever words come up for you, we will read with attentiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful prompt, Sherry. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. Today I am grateful for this poetry community where we can share our words! No small thing in this world filled with tragedy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, connections far and wide - we share the burden of living through troubled times. It does help.

      Delete
  3. This is a great prompt Sherry and we have some wonderful responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry even in the chaos there are still reasons to feel grateful. Sigh…so much is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unable to change the big things, one is grateful for the small. Smiles.

      Delete
  5. This is a comment for Rall: I am grateful for your poem and happy for you! Bless you! Tell me what your blogging platform is? I'm Google and Blogger, I should be able to get in. Unless really you don't want comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very grateful to Sherry and all you poets. Your encouragement has kept me writing. Peace to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shaista, we are so happy you are here! In any way you feel comfortable. At this moment, the words are not coming for me either. I am stunned by how dark times are getting, especially the situation in Israel and Gaza. I actually felt my prompt was untimely given what was happening, but it was scheduled and I went ahead. Hard to find words sometimes, yet we keep on keeping on and eventually the words come back. I loved your post and seeing you and your dear Mom and Dad's faces. And of course Sammy!!!! Thank you so much for linking. Keep on with your novel. It will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shaista, so nice to meet you. I am glad that you want to be part of this community. We are all friendly and supportive folks. As far as writing goes, I do keep writing even on days I don't feel like it. There is something about forcing myself, not getting out of my chair until I have written, that works for me. All poems are not 'masterpieces,' but there is satisfaction in having written. And yes, the situation in Israel and Gaza is always on my mind. None of us can escape it...but writing poetry helps me to plod on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you are very welcome. Try reading some prose poetry, and notice how easily your work can fit in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Took adavantage of a 45 degree fall day and went horseback riding AND I get to do it again on Sunday. I will visit and comment on Monday - I posted a piece I wrote a while back and it didn't get many views. I need to take advantage of these days before we are inundated with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy riding, Margaret. My sister is like you, rides every day possible. So nice to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul, I was prevented from posting on your website. You write of such powerful transformational moments, I don't doubt the presence of God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't make it to the prompt, but I am enjoying reading work by old friends. Once our move is finished and I have made the trip to Ohio for Luka's surgery the first week in December, I will be back! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete