10 July 2024

On Friendship

 

~ Friendship ~

Friendship is a sheltering tree. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

         "Friendship is," Coleridge said, "a sheltering tree." Is that how you see it?  Do other metaphors come to mind?  When you say a person, a book, a tree, or a place is a friend, what do you mean?   What is the give and take of friendship?  
         I've a million questions to make this prompt resonate after years of writing about friends.  Friendships vary, and change over time. And I've learned that the loss of a close friend brings their preciousness into sharper focus.  
          For this prompt, one of your choices is to clarify by example--narrate a moment spent with a particular friend.
💚💚💚💚💚💚


 Old Friends

Old friends are a steady spring rain,
or late summer sunshine edging into fall,
or frosted leaves along a snowy path—
a voice for all seasons saying, I know you.
The older I grow, the more I fear I'll lose my old friends,
as if too many years have scrolled by
since the day we sprang forth, seeking each other.
 
Old friend, I knew you before we met.
I saw you at the window of my soul—
I heard you in the steady millstone of my heart
grinding grain for our daily bread.
You are sedimentary, rock-solid cousin earth,
where I stand firmly, astonished by your grace and truth.
And gratitude comes to me and says:
 
"Tell me anything and I will listen.
Ask me anything, and I will answer you."
Poem copyright ©2018 by Freya Manfred, "Old Friends," from Loon In Late November Water, (Red Dragonfly Press, 2018). 
💚💚💚

by Mary Oliver

Ordinarily I go to the woods alone, with not a single friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore unsuitable. I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my ways of praying, as you no doubt have yours. Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds, until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost unhearable sound of the roses singing. If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love you very much.

💚💚💚

To All My Friends

That I could be this human at this time
breathing, looking, seeing, smelling

That I could be this moment at this time
resting, calmly moving, feeling

That I could be this excellence at this time
sudden, changed, peaceful, & woke

To all my friends who have been with me in weakness
when water falls rush down my two sides

To all my friends who have felt me in anguish
when this earthen back breaks between the crack of two blades

To all my friends who have held me in rage
when fire tears through swallows behind tight grins

I know you
I see you 
I hear you

Although the world is silent around you

I know you
I see you 
I hear you

From To Whitey & the Cracker Jack (Anhinga Press, 2017). Copyright © 2017 by May Yang.

💚💚💚


Please link one poem that is your response to the material of this prompt.  After you link your poem, please visit others.

Don't forget to include this link in your post.


21 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prompt Susan - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Making a home
      Nesting
      Just like we made our friendship" Your poem brought happy tears to my eyes. Keep that inner sunshine glowing!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sumana - I couldn't leave a comment on your post - I am glad that you also highlight the good things about our online world - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful prompt, Sumana. I love the poem examples, especially "Old Friends". For those who know the poet Sarah Connor, dVerse has posted a very moving interview with her, as she has entered hospice. So sad when our bright lights in the poetry world grow dim and leave us. Sarah is so lovely. She writes with a silver pen. Sigh. She will be long remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the poem about Sarah? It's so beautiful!

      Delete
    2. My poem is about all the online poets, but dVerse really wrote a wonderful tribute to her and Sarah said she was very moved to read it.

      Delete
    3. I read the moving interview with Sarah, taken by Kim, Sherry. This week's prompt is Susan's. Smiles.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for a great prompt this week, Susan !....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to see the doctor this afternoon, I'll be back this evening, my poet friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Annell: "Something special / Something kind" Yes, yes to all your words and the dedication to Sherry. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For Brother Ollie: The exchange of work and pleasure between the old monk and the abbess reads like true friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was from me, Susan. Can't sign in at your site.

      Delete
  8. I felt so happy to write to your beautiful prompt today, Susan. I am also enjoying the lovely responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sumana. I'm also enjoying the responses!

      Delete
  9. Hi Susan! Such a fun prompt to work on and with so many ideas, half-started on, until I finally settled on one and experimenting with a new form. Looking forward to reading everyone's poems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really am enjoying all of the wonderful writing this week! Thanks for the prompt, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this prompt - It is amazing that words can be your friend !

    ReplyDelete
  12. WARNING - Hi everyone — before you read, please know this real, and it is raw. I feel the concept of friendship is far too profound and significant for me to write anything but. ✌🏼🫶🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your deep poem, Rob.

      Delete